According to the CDC, more than 25% of the U.S. population reports occasionally not getting enough sleep, while 10% suffer from chronic insomnia.
Fortunately, however, there are a few science-backed ways to make falling asleep less frustrating. One of them? A decent playlist. A 2015 study from the Cochrane Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group found that music can improve sleep quality for adults with symptoms of insomnia. And yet another study found that listening to music (particularly classical music) at bedtime was linked to better sleep quality in students. Plus, unlike sleeping pills that can leave you drowsy long after your alarm clock has gone off, music doesn’t have any side effects.
So if you’re looking for the perfect playlist to tuck into bed with, look no further. Below, we’ve rounded up some of the best songs to fall asleep to.
- I Wanna Be Yours – Arctic Monkeys
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
- I’m Not The Only One – Sam Smith
- Imagine – 2010 – Remaster – John Lennon
- The Dream Synopsis – The Last Shadow Puppets, Alex Turner, Miles Kane
- Flightless Bird, American Mouth – Iron & Wine
- Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
- Slow Dancing in a Burning Room – John Mayer
- Champagne Coast – Blood Orange
- Dark Days – Local Natives
- Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want – 2011 Remastered Version – The Smiths
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow_What A Wonderful World – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- No. 1 Party Anthem – Arctic Monkeys
- Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard, Marketa Irglova
- The A Team – Ed Sheeran
- Big Jet Plane – Angus & Julia Stone
- Such Great Heights – Iron & Wine
- Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones
- Baby I’m Yours – Arctic Monkeys
- Claire De Lune – Claude Debussy
- Blackbird – Remastered – The Beatles
- All of Me – John Legend
- Landslide – Fleetwood Mac
- Sign of the Times – Harry Styles
Want to hear more? Listen to Murphy Sam and Jodi: On Demand
When you subscribe to our podcast in iTunes or Google Play store, you get exclusive stuff you won’t hear on the show!
And while you’re at it… be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel.